Software Engineering Managers are responsible for the continual improvement of themselves, the teams they manage, and the organization as a whole. They drive software quality, design, development, deployment, and customer service excellence for the organ transplantation community. This role emphasizes four critical areas necessary for the success of the organization. These are employees, customers, quality, and processes.
· Ensures team is adequately staffed, resourced, and trained to successfully fulfill the responsibility.
· Define clear vision and goals of team that continually challenge them to stretch and grow as a team.
· Responsible for forming teams through recruiting and staffing efforts to balance experience, skills, personalities, etc. to create the ideal team dynamic.
· Hold regular staff meetings to inform employees and manage expectations.
· Continually evaluate individual contributions to teams and actively manage for team health: coaching, encouraging, providing training opportunities, administering disciplinary action, relocating, hiring, retaining, and firing.
· Hold regular one-on-ones to understand career development goals of team members, provide feedback, and update professional development plan to grow the individual.
· Complete and administer annual performance reviews.
· Survey teams for examples of UNOS core values; recognize, reward, and encourage continued displays of values.
· Serve as sponsors to Communities of Practice to coach the functional areas in the definition of standards and selection of team wide tools and methods.
· Responsible for maintaining team integrity, minimizing any changes to the team structure to insure teams continue to strengthen and improve.
· Must embrace agile values, believe them, live them, and encourage others in adopting and utilizing them on a daily basis.
· Continually monitor impediments raised by the Scrum / Kanban teams and look for ways to make incremental changes in policies and structure to remove them.
· Monitor flow of work both upstream and downstream of the application development process to continually work to align it with external workflows.
· Ensure we maintain the code base to support Internal & External users.
· Monitor metrics of development & maintenance efforts to manage the capacity allocation of product enhancements, board projects, and internal transformation activities.
· Monitor objective measures and metrics to monitor continuous improvement efforts of the Software Engineering Department.
· Contribute to portfolio planning to align upcoming projects with the correct teams. Help create the long term roadmap.
· Work with Service Owners and teams to provide estimations for the committees, the BOD, customer innovations and other non-OPTN efforts.
· Support strategic goals set by the senior management team.
· Leverage software engineering metrics to continuously improve.
· Work with the PMO to ensure successful project delivery.
· Coordinate logistics between teams.
· Manage post production support of releases to the user community.
· Support & enforce software engineering best practices and standards and Industry standards.
· Ensure we continually meet / exceed ISO 9001 standards. Ensure that quality is a shared goal by all.
· Explore new technologies which will benefit software engineering to help our code base to be more modular, easily maintained, faster, more reliable, scalable, and better aligned with the industry.
· Lead horizontal efforts across software engineering teams.
· Work with internal and external customers to improve the user experience and user interface of our software.
· Foster an environment of creativity, innovation, and continuous improvement. Encourage “out of the box” thinking.
· Ability to manage multiple teams.
· Manage external partners and contractors to align their efforts with those of the internal teams.