Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world’s leading clean, engine and power technology. We’re also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Powering your potential.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, IN for a Senior API and Integrations Release Train Engineer. Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading engineering projects such as New Product Development, Value Package Introduction and Systems Product Validation.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
• The Release Train Engineer (RTE) is a servant leader and coach for a single Agile Release Train (ART) who facilitates the ART events/processes and assists the teams in delivering value.
• The RTE communicates with stakeholders, escalates impediments, helps manage risk, and drives relentless improvement. Manages and optimizes the flow of value through overseeing a release train (grouping of agile teams).
• Manage and optimize the flow of value through the ART and Solution Train using various tools, such as the Program and Solution Kanbans and other information radiators.
Establish and communicate the annual calendars for Iterations and Program Increments (PIs);
• Facilitate PI Planning readiness by fostering a Continuous Exploration process which drives the synthesis of a Vision, a Roadmap, and Backlogs, and through Pre- and Post-PI Planning meetings.
• Work with Product and Solution Management, Product Owners, and other stakeholders to help ensure strategy and execution alignment; Summarize Team PI Objectives into Program PI Objectives and publish them for visibility and transparency.
• Assist with economic decision-making by facilitating feature and capability estimation by teams and the roll-up to Epics, where necessary.
• Assist tracking the execution of features and capabilities; Facilitate System Demos and Solution Demos; Help manage risks and dependencies; escalate and track impediments and provide input on resourcing to address critical bottlenecks.
• Improve the flow of value through value streams by improving and assessing the DevOps and Release on Demand competency; Help drive the Lean User Experience (UX) innovation cycle; Understand and operate within Lean Budgets and ensure adherence to Guardrails, foster Communities of Practice and the use of engineering and built-in Quality practices.
• Coach leaders, teams, and Scrum Masters in Lean-Agile practices, mindsets and collaboration; Drive relentless improvement via Inspect and Adapt workshops; assess the agility level of the ART and Solution Train and help them improve.
Lean Agile and SAFe Mindset - Advocates for and leads others in the concepts of the Agile Manifesto and Lean thinking in support of adopting and applying the 9 SAFe principles and practices for the organization.
Agile Systems Thinking - Embraces a holistic approach to analysis that focuses on the way that a system's constituent parts interrelate and how systems work over time and within the context of larger systems to ensure the economic success of the solution.
Building High Performance Teams - Identifies and applies critical skills and Lean-Agile principles and practices in the creation of high-performing Agile teams to construct high-quality, well designed technical solutions.
DevOps and Release on Demand - Implements DevOps and a continuous delivery pipeline by providing the enterprise with the capability to release value, in whole or in part, at any time necessary to meet market and customer demand.
Continuous Delivery Pipeline - Implements the workflows, activities, and automation by providing the enterprise with the capability to shepherd a new piece of functionality all the way from ideation to an on-demand release of value to the end user.
Planning and Managing Ceremonies - Plans, schedules, and leads ceremonies that create a cadence for the team to maximize productivity, promote collaboration, maintain transparency, and inspect and adapt so the team can continuously learn and improve.
Release Planning - Plans and manages the release of capabilities, features or products using inputs from the prioritized roadmap, planning, available resources and skills to communicate expected availability and releases of capability.
Project Management - Establishes and maintains the balance of scope, schedule and resources for a temporary effort (a "project").
Business Insight - Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
Global Perspective - Taking a broad view when approaching issues, using a global lens.
Manages Conflict - Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
Communicates Effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
University, or equivalent Bachelor's degree in computer science or relevant related field is required. SAFE Program Consultant (SPC), SAFE Release Train Engineer Certification (RTE), and Safe Advanced Scrum Master (SASM) certifications are highly preferred.
Significant experience in IT utilizing a broad knowledge base in fundamental IT skills is highly preferred. Hands on experience as a scrum master, release train engineer, or agile coach is highly preferred.
• Strong working knowledge and experience in Lean Portfolio Management, lean budgets.
• Proven track record of Agile methodologies and Framework implementation. Able to lead our organization through the Agile transformation journey.
• Expert in Lean-Agile practices and able to aid multiple teams in delivering business solutions.
• Guides and coaches’ multiple cross functional agile teams on agile practices and the support of high performing teams.
• Works closely with Product Owners, Solution Architects, and Business stakeholders to support the delivery of business outcomes.
• Management of Integration Services portfolios for all Business Units and Functions. Includes program management, development and management of IS led Program like API Connectivity initiative intake processes, prioritization, and collaborate with Product owners for managing overall resource/capacity planning.
• Manage and evolve project management methodologies. Strong understanding of ITPM, SDLC, and Agile / Safe frameworks, methodologies is required.
• Manage and optimize the flow of value through the Agile Release Trains (ART) and Solution Train using various tools, such as the Program Kanban and other information radiators
• Establish and communicate the annual calendars for Iterations and Program Increments (PI) Facilitate PI Planning readiness via fostering the preparation of Vision and Backlogs, and via Pre- and Post-PI Planning meetings
• Facilitate the PI planning event Aggregate Team PI Objectives into Program PI Objectives (the RTE) and publish them for visibility and transparency
• Have a strong understanding of what self-organizing and self-managing as it applies to Scaled Agile
• Aggregate program PI objectives and publish them for visibility and transparency
• Assist with execution and Feature/Capability completion tracking. Facilitate periodic synchronization meetings, including the ART sync at the Program Level
• Assist with economic decision-making by facilitating feature and capability estimation by teams and the roll-up to epics, where necessary. Help manage risks and dependencies; Escalate and track impediments. • Provide input on resourcing to address critical bottlenecks
• Encourage the collaboration between teams and System and Solution Architects/Engineering.
• Work with Product and Solution Management, Product Owners, and other stakeholders to help ensure strategy and execution alignment
• Improve the flow of value through value streams using the Continuous Delivery Pipeline and DevOps. Help drive the Lean UX innovation cycle
• Report status to Lean Portfolio Management (LPM) and support related activities, establish Lean portfolio when not available.
• Facilitate System Demos and Solution Demos
• Drive relentless improvement via Inspect and Adapt workshops; assess the agility level of the ART/Solution Train and help improve
• Develop and oversee skill and training development IS organization, Foster Communities of Practice and the use of engineering and Built-In Quality Practices
• 5+ years of experience in Agile; SPCT 4.5 or above certification preferred apart from relevant Agile certifications. Scrum Master Certification available or willingness to achieve certification immediately preferred. Understanding of DevOps and how to apply Agile and DevOps together preferred.
• 8-10 years of overall experience with Agile or other Project/Program Management or Software development practices.
• Ability and at 1+ year(s) experience coaching, mentoring and training Agile teams, Scrum Masters an added preference
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
It's easy, and free! Add jobs from any website! Get recommendations from your friends! Start by adding this job...