Near Madison, WI
Created 1w ago
Does designing solutions to unique and novel problems and working with a collaborative, multidisciplinary, caring team excite you? Do you love fast-paced, flexible, and fun environments?
If so, we have a career for you!
An Understory Data Scientist assists in the analysis of weather station and air quality sensor data to improve our understanding of weather and air quality. They work closely with engineers and software developers to advance pattern detection algorithms, data analysis, prototyping systems, and large-scale applications that help produce interesting and meaningful weather products for our customers.
Your main role responsibilities will include:
- Build production-ready models using data from Understory’s networks
- Leverage brand new data to advance our understanding of severe weather and its impacts on people and property
- Incorporate new findings with current weather models to improve them
- Translate client and business needs into actionable analytical plans
- Work with our frontend team to explore the usefulness and usability of high-density data
You're exactly what we're looking for if you:
- Master’s in mathematics, computer science, finance, economics, or science-related field
- 1+ years of experience in commercial machine learning and data analysis
- Experience in algorithm development with Python, Matlab, R, regression analysis, cohort analysis, clustering, predictive models, and machine learning
- Experience with information retrieval and text analysis fundamental
- Familiarity working with UNIX-based systems
- Comfortable in a fast-paced and dynamic professional environment
- Independent with the ability to work well as part of a team
- Base salary commensurate with experience
- Full-time benefits
Understory detects rain, hail, wind, and other weather events where the risk to life and property is the greatest – directly at the earth’s surface. Understory's ground-truth detection provides weather data that leads the industry in resolution and fidelity, which has tremendous potential value and application throughout the country as $485 billion of the U.S. economy fluctuates with weather, touching industries such as insurance, agriculture, and broadcast.
Currently, Understory is an early-stage company consisting of twenty awesome team members and is venture backed by $20M+ in financing. Our team works hard, but also makes time for team and family fun!